UX/UI Experiment: Use Scenarios
Hey there and welcome back to those who have been reading along up until this point. For those of you that just joined- Hi. Feel free to get caught up here otherwise just dive right in.
Now that I have thought about the user needs and business objectives I need to lay out the use scenarios.
Again Joel Marsh and Joe Natoli were quite helpful in emphasizing the importance of this step. A use scenario - or user story- is a step-by-step of how someone gets to your site/product/app. In my case the question is :
This should not outline the solution or the design but instead just what someone would do to get to my site. In many cases there are several use scenarios (e.g., to buy a book online you could have several paths from 'user starts' to 'click here to make purchase').
Here is one for Spaghetti Memoirs....don't be intimidated by my artistic genius. :)
- User gets on device (computer, phone, tablet, whatever)
- Searches for content (gluten free recipe, cocktails, design content)
- Direct: They enter in a Google search (e.g., "Gluten Free Crepe Recipe") and it gives them the direct link to Spaghetti Memoirs.
- Indirect: They stumble upon a link on Facebook (mine or friends sharing), pintrest, instagram, etc. This could be to a specific blog post, or just the site.
- Link is clicked
- At Spaghetti Memoirs! TADA
I will admit that I was never encouraged to specifically draw this part out (Lean UX and all) so as I sit here I still wonder:
- Should the direct and indirect be their own use scenarios?
- Should each of the indirect be their own or is the 'indirect' good?
Also, the simplicity of a blog (e.g., I just want you to look at and share my content) has me second guessing if i'm missing something. I'll keep reading and if further clarity comes then i'll update this post with what I find.
Even though I am pretty sure i'm jumping ahead of myself, this has already got me thinking about the layout and how it may need to change. For example. once someone shows up to the site, is it designed in a way that facilitates further exploration? Is it easy to share content? Are the important behaviors visually distinguishable?
Well it's back to the books/blogs/course/reading for me. Next time I will start getting into interaction design and information architecture.